With the winter freeze well underway for most of the UK, it's important to take some steps to keep your home warm and free from any damage caused by the plummeting temperatures.
Heating bills are extortionate in the current climate and whilst knitted jumpers are a great idea, it is vital that you think about how you’re going to keep your home warm in case of any nasty surprises.
Here are some top tips to keep your home cosy over the winter months;
- Make sure your drains and guttering is clear of leaves and debris. This will help prevent any damage to your property.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed after daylight hours to make sure you don’t lose warmth through the windows.
- Keeping your loft hatch ajar will stop overhead pipes and tanks from freezing.
- Keep your central heating on low (around 15ºc) and leave your internal doors open to protect your indoor pipes from freezing.
- If you are going away this winter, shut off the outside taps and drain any standing water to avoid the outside pipes bursting.
- Put kitchen foil behind your radiators to reflect heat back into your rooms.
- Ensure your loft has adequate insulation. Most of the heat will escape through your roof if you don't.
- Fit draught excluders to doors and windows. This is a cheap and easy way to keep the cold out and the warmth in.
And remember, if you need us then visit our household claims page for all the relevant contact information.