Please read this notice carefully as it contains important information about our use of your personal information. You should also show it to anyone else insured under your policy. It explains how we use all the information we have about you and the other people insured under your policy.
We are Kwik Fit Insurance Services, Which is a trading name of Ageas Retail Limited, part of the Ageas Group of companies. We may share your information with other companies in the group for any of the purposes set out in this notice, including the prevention and detection of crime, fraud and debt recovery. If you want to know more about the Ageas group, please go to www.ageas.co.uk.
Please note that if you give us false or inaccurate information this could give us or your insurer the right to avoid or cancel your insurance policy or it could impact your ability to claim.
Some of the personal information that we ask you to provide is known as "sensitive personal data". This includes information about health issues, and any criminal convictions.
We may use and share your information including sensitive personal data with your insurer, Ageas Group Companies, regulatory authorities, business partners or agents providing services to us or your insurer in order to:
-assess your insurance application;
- arrange and renew your policy;
- manage your policy including dealing with claims and issuing renewal documents and information to you;
- for credit scoring purposes;
- prevent or detect crime including fraud (see below)
- recover any monies you owe us;
- if we are required or permitted to do this by law (for example, if we have a request from the police); and/or
- if you have given your permission.
We, our partners or your insurer may transfer, store or process electronic copies of your information outside the European Economic area. If we or they do this, the data will be protected as securely as it would be under European Union law.
We may share your information with other Ageas Group Companies in order to provide you with an alternative quote. We will only share your information in this manner with your permission.
Your information may be passed to a credit reference agency to provide you with your initial insurance quotation, throughout the policy period and at renewal stage. The credit reference agency will search using full electoral roll, public information and previous search records. A record of this search will be retained by the credit reference agency but will not affect your ability to obtain other financial products. The search will be shown as being completed by our software supplier, CDL, and will be recorded on your credit report.
Preventing and detecting crime
We and your insurer may use your personal information to prevent crime. In order to prevent crime we may:
- check your personal information against our own and your insurers databases;
- share it with other Ageas Group Companies;
- share it with fraud prevention agencies. Your personal information will be checked with and recorded by a fraud prevention agency. Other companies within the financial services industry may also search such fraud prevention agencies when you make an application to them for financial products (including credit, savings, insurance, stockbroking or money transmission services). If such companies suspect fraud, we will share your relevant personal information with them. The information we share may be used by those companies when making decisions about you. You can find out which fraud prevention agencies are used by us by writing to our Data Protection Officer at the address set out below.;
- share it with operators of registers available to the insurance industry to check information and prevent fraud. These include the Claims and Underwriting Exchange Register and the Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register. We and your insurer may pass information relating to your insurance policy and any incident (such as an accident, theft or loss), to the operators of these registers; and/or
- share it with the Motor Insurance Database (MID) which may be used to establish whether a driver is insured to drive a vehicle and/or for preventing or detecting crime. If you are involved in an accident in the UK or abroad, the MID may be searched to obtain relevant policy information. You can find out more at www.mib.org.uk.
- provide your (or any person included on the proposal) driving licence number to the DVLA to confirm licence status, entitlement and relevant restriction information and endorsement/conviction data. Searches may be carried out prior to and at any point during your insurance policy including any mid-term adjustment and renewal stage. (For details relating to information held about you by the DVLA please visit www.MyLicence.org.uk.)
- search your (or any person included on the proposal) 'No Claims Discount' ("NCD") details against a No Claims Discount database to obtain information in relation to your NCD entitlement. Such searches may be carried out against driving licence number, name, date of birth, Vehicle Registration Mark ("VRM") and/or postcode (A search of the driving licence number with the DVLA or against the NCD Database should not show a footprint against the driving licence).
Dealing with others on your behalf
To help you manage your insurance policy, subject to answering security questions, we will deal with you or your husband, wife or partner or any other person whom we reasonably believe to be acting for you if they call us on your behalf in connection with your policy. For your protection only you can cancel your policy or change the contact address.
We may use your personal information and information about your use of our products and services for marketing and to carry out research and analysis to help us meet your needs.
We may contact you if you abandon or fail to complete an online quotation to see if we can offer you any assistance with this.
As part of our service to you, we may ring you about any quotation you receive from us.
We may also send you information via post, email and/or telephone in accordance with your preferences.
If you do not want us to use your personal information for marketing or research and analysis, please telephone us on 0800 952 4141.
We may share your information for other purposes not set out in this notice but will only do so with your permission.
Monitoring and recording
We may record or monitor calls for training purposes, to improve the quality of our service and to prevent and detect fraud. We may also use CCTV recording equipment in and around our premises
We may store electronic copies of your information outside the European Economic area. If we do this we will ensure that the information is kept protected and secure.
In general you may visit our website without providing us with any personal information. However, there are times when we may need information from you, which includes your internet address, so that we can track unique visits to our site to review issues such as who visits and why they visit.
Internet browsers normally accept cookies by default, although it is possible to set a browser to reject cookies. We will ask your permission before using any cookie that is not essential to the email or the use of the website. However, refusing to accept cookies may restrict your use of our website and/or delay or affect the way in which our website operates.
We may use third parties to collate IP addresses (amongst other things) to help us understand our Internet traffic data and data regarding your browser type and computer.
The open nature of the internet is such that data may flow over networks without security measures, and may be accessed and used by people other than those for whom the data is intended. While this is out of our control, we aim to apply appropriate levels of security at all times.
Our website uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) to enhance security when entering sensitive data while requesting an online quote. SSL is the industry standard technology for protecting and maintaining the security of message transmissions over the internet. When you enter sensitive data from secured sites, encryption will scramble your data into an unreadable format to discourage unauthorised access by others.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a text file containing small amounts of information which are stored on your computer or device when you visit a website. Cookies do not harm your computer, and they do not store personally identifiable information such as credit card details.
Are there different types of cookies?
Yes. Some cookies are only placed on your computer for the duration of your visit to our website, these are called session based cookies. These automatically expire when you close down your browser. The other type of cookie is known as a "persistent" cookie. These cookies remain on your computer for a period of time until they expire or are removed.
What are cookies used for?
Cookies make our website easier for you to use and provide you with a more efficient customer experience. For example, they help us to identify and resolve website errors, and they save you time by not having to re-enter your details each time you visit. They also help us personalise our service to you when you return to our website. This information, which is stored in a first party cookie on your computer, is fully secure and cannot be accessed by anyone else.
Cookies on third party websites
We have professional relationships with carefully selected and monitored third parties who may also place cookies on your computer either when you visit our website or across different websites. These cookies allow us to show you different products and services based on what you appear to be interested in.
We're giving you this information as part of our initiative to comply with recent legislation, and to make sure we're transparent about your privacy when using our website.
Useful information about cookies, including how to remove them, can be found at: www.allaboutcookies.org
You are entitled to receive a copy of any of your personal information we hold. If you would like to receive a copy, or if you would like further information on, or wish to complain about, the way that we use your personal information, please write to the Data Protection Officer at Kwik Fit Insurance Services, 1 Masterton Way, Tannochside Business Park, Glasgow, G71 5PU, giving your name, address and insurance policy number. We may charge you a small fee for this.
If we change the way that we use your personal information, we will write to you to let you know. If you do not agree to that change in use, you must let us know as soon as possible.
We keep this privacy notice under regular review and will publish any updates on this web page. This privacy notice was last updated on 31st March 2015.