Please read this notice carefully as it contains important information about our use of your personal information. You should also show it to anyone else insured under your policy. It explains how we use all the information we have about you and the other people insured under your policy.
Our approach to your Privacy
The privacy and security of your personal information is very important to us. We want to assure you that your information will be properly managed and protected whilst in our hands. This notice explains who we are and how we collect and use your personal information. It will also help you understand who we may share your personal information with and why and how we use it to help us to improve our services to our customers. We will never sell your personal information to third parties for marketing.
How we collect, use and look after your personal information
We are Ageas Retail Limited trading as Kwik Fit Insurance Services and are part of the Ageas group of companies. If you want to know more about the Ageas group and Ageas brands please go to www.ageas.co.uk.
Please read this notice carefully as it contains important information about how we, your insurer or our carefully selected third parties use your personal information. It’s important that other persons shown in your schedule also see this notice as we may also use their personal information. It explains how Kwik Fit Insurance Services uses your information we hold and the other people insured under your policy.
You acknowledge that by providing your personal information to us, you consent us collecting it and using it as set out in this notice. If you provide us with personal information about others either connected to your policy or because they will deal with your policy on your behalf then you confirm that you have their consent to supply their personal information to us.
Information we may collect about you
When you apply for one of our insurance policies, obtain a quote, or take out one of our insurance policies, we ask you to share your personal information so we can deliver our service to you. Your personal information means any information we, your insurer and our carefully selected third parties, hold about you and any information you give us about anyone else, including any sensitive personal information you provide. Sensitive personal information will include information relating to health conditions, race, religion and criminal convictions.
Where we collect other information
If you have obtained a quote for a policy with us through a price comparison website the information in this notice will apply in addition to any information given to you by that price comparison website about the use of your personal information.
We and your insurer may also research, collect and use personal information about you from publicly available sources, including opinions and comments made public on social media and networking sites. This information may be used by us to assess your application for insurance.
We, your insurer and third parties may also collect personal information about you from databases we trial or purchase from third parties where you have consented to them passing your personal information on to third parties like us. Combined with the personal information you give to us, this data helps us to develop our internal databases (such as those used for underwriting and marketing purposes) and our systems to improve the products and services we offer.
How Kwik Fit Insurance Services will use and share your personal information
We, your insurer and third parties will use personal information we hold about you
- to assess your insurance application and provide you with quotes
- to arrange and manage your insurance policy (including handling underwriting and claims and issuing renewal documentation to you)
- to provide you with the services described in your policy documents
- to prevent and detect fraud and financial crime and anti money-laundering
- for the other purposes detailed in this notice.
We and your insurer will also use your personal information and information about your use of our products and services, together with other data, to carry out processes such as statistical and trend research and analysis which may include computerised processes which profile you. This is to better understand, predict and forecast our customer’s preferences to improve the products and services we offer.We may also engage carefully selected third parties to assist us with this.
Kwik Fit Insurance Services and your insurer may share your personal information:
- with other companies within the same group as Kwik Fit Insurance Services or to different brands operated by us including, where we are unable to provide you with an insurance product we will contact one of our other brands or companies to check whether there they have an insurance product which suits your needs;
- with other insurers and business partners, agents or third parties providing services on behalf of us;
- with organisations that have a specific role laid out in law such as statutory bodies, regulatory authorities and other authorised bodies;
- if we are under a duty to or are permitted to disclose your personal information by law (for example, if Kwik Fit Insurance Services receives a legitimate request from the police or another authority);
- with credit reference agencies to check your credit history. This check will be recorded on your credit reference file without affecting your ability to obtain other financial products;
- with third parties we use to recover money you owe us or to whom we sell your debt to;
- with another company if Kwik Fit Insurance Services business or part of it is bought or taken over by that company, in which case your personal information will be transferred to that company for them to ensure your insurance policy can continue to be serviced or as part of preliminary discussions with that company about a possible sale or take over, where your personal information may be shared with that company;
- with other companies when we are trialling their products and services which we consider may improve our services to you or our business processes;
- with others if you have given us permission;
- for the other purposes set out in this notice.
How we collect and use your information to prevent and detect fraud and financial crime
Kwik Fit Insurance Services and/or your insurer may use your personal information to prevent crime. Along with other companies in the insurance industry and in order to prevent and detect crime we and/or your insurer may:
- collect personal information from you from the databases described in this notice available to us and publically available sources (such as social media and networking sites).
- check your personal information against databases available to us including databases showing no claims discount entitlement and driving licence records.
- share your personal information with fraud prevention agencies. Your personal information will be checked with and recorded by a fraud prevention agency. If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details will be passed to the fraud prevention agencies. This information will be accessed and used by Kwik Fit Insurance Services, law enforcement agencies and other organisations to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example when: checking details on applications for credit and credit related or other facilities; managing credit and credit related accounts or facilities; recovering debt; checking details on proposals and claims for all types of insurance; and checking details of job applicants and employees. Other organisations may search the databases held by these fraud prevention agencies when you make an application to them for financial products. If such companies suspect fraud, Kwik Fit Insurance Services will share your personal information with them. The information Kwik Fit Insurance Services shares may be used by those companies when making decisions about you. We and other organisations may access and use, from other countries, the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies;
- with operators of registers available to the insurance industry to check information you provide. These include the Claims and Underwriting Exchange Register and Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register (for Motor Insurance). We may pass information relating to your insurance policy and any incident to the operators of these registers, their agents and suppliers;
- (for Motor Insurance only) share it with the Motor Insurance Database (MID) which may be used to establish whether a driver is insured to drive a vehicle and/or for preventing or detecting crime. If you are involved in an accident in the UK or abroad, the MID may be search to obtain relevant policy information. You can find out more at www.mib.org.uk.
Use and storage of your personal information overseas
The personal information we, your insurer and our carefully selected third parties collect from you may be transferred to, stored and processed outside of the European Economic Area. We or our service providers may use cloud based computer systems (i.e. network of remote servers hosted on the internet which process and store your personal information) to which foreign law enforcement agencies may have the power to require access. By submitting your personal information you are agreeing to this taking place. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected.
Dealing with others on your behalf
To help you manage your insurance policy, we will deal with individuals you nominate, including third parties we reasonably believe to be acting for you if they call us on your behalf or where you have made a claim and your insurer needs to call us to ask us questions relating to your policy provided they are able to answer some security questions. But for your protection, we’ll need to speak to you directly to change your contact address and to you, your legal representative or power of attorney about cancelling your policy.
How we will market to you
We will only use your personal information to market other products and services to you if you agree to this.
We may use your personal information, information you enter on our website (including your interactions with our website) and information about your use of our products and services in order to identify and to market to you other products and services which we think may be of interest to you by post, email, SMS and/or telephone in accordance with your preferences and to offer you a more personalised marketing. For example, we may remember other product and services you have previously browsed when you are logged into our website and tailor our communication with you accordingly.
We may, for marketing purposes, share your personal information with selected business partners, for them
- to contact you about other products and services which we think may be of interest to you by post, email, SMS and/or telephone in accordance with your preferences;
- to make promotional offers available to you and manage those offers on our behalf;
We may contact you if you fail to complete an online quotation to see if we can offer you any help with this and/or once you have purchased insurance to continue to service your insurance needs
As part of our service to you, we may telephone you about any quotation you receive from us. This may be a quotation for a new policy or for the renewal of an existing insurance policy you hold, to talk through your renewal.
If you do not want us to use your personal information for marketing or do not wish to hear from us as a follow up to a new or renewal quotation, please telephone us on 0800 952 4141
Monitoring and recording
We, your insurer and third parties may record or monitor calls for training purposes, to improve the quality of our service, to help us deal with queries or complaints from you and to prevent and detect fraud and financial crime. We may also use CCTV recording equipment in and around our premises.
Our website and email communication
When you visit our website we may need information from you, which includes your internet address, so that we can track unique visits to our website to monitor patterns of customer website traffic, such as who visits and why they visit.
Internet browsers normally accept cookies by default, although it is possible to set a browser to reject cookies. We will ask your permission before using any cookie that is not essential to the email or the use of the website. However, refusing to accept cookies may restrict your use of our website and/or delay or affect the way in which our website operates.
We use third parties (such as Sitestat) to collate IP addresses (amongst other things) to help us understand our Internet traffic data and data regarding your browser type and computer.
The open nature of the internet is such that data may flow over networks without security measures, and may be accessed and used by people other than those for whom the data is intended. While this is out of our control, we aim to apply appropriate levels of security at all times.
We take security very seriously and we use one of the strongest security systems available to protect your communications with us. Whenever you fill in a form, such as a request for a quote, it is automatically protected using something called a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) between your computer and ours. SSL works in the following ways;
- It prevents impersonation – depending on your browser, you can tell that you are using a genuine SSL site by a padlock icon and the web address prefix changing to HTTPS in the address bar. Clicking on the padlock will reveal our Registration Certificate issued by a leading internet security company. The information contained within this certificate tells your device we are who we say we are not an imposter.
- It encrypts data - as soon as your computer has recognised our computer they encrypt all information that is passed between them. Data encryption means that no one else can read or change your information as it travels over the Internet.
- It prevents scrambling - SSL uses a Message Authentication Code (MAC) to prevent anyone tampering with our Internet site. Your computer will always check this code before it takes a message from us. This means that if anyone tried to interfere with a message, your computer would not recognise the code and would alert you.
We may share your information for other purposes not set out in this notice but will only do so with your permission or otherwise to the extent required or permitted by law.
You can ask for further information about Kwik Fit Insurance Services’ use of your personal information or complain about its use, by writing to us at:
Data Protection Officer, Ageas Retail Limited, Kwik Fit Insurance Services, 1 Masterton Way, Tannochside Business Park, Uddingston, G715PU
You can request a copy of your personal information held by us, by writing to us at: Data Protection Officer, Ageas Retail Limited, Ageas House, Hampshire Corporate Park, Templars Way, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YA. We may make a small charge for this service.
Please make sure you tell us your name, address and insurance policy number in any request you send to us.
If Kwik Fit Insurance Services changes the way that it uses your personal information, it will write to you to let you know. If you do not agree to that change in use, you must let us know as soon as possible by writing to us at the address above.
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at any time if you object to the way we use your personal information. For more information please go to www.ico.org.uk.
We keep this privacy notice under regular review and will publish any updates on this web page. This privacy notice was last updated on 26/01/17
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a text file containing small amounts of information which are stored on your computer or device when you visit a website. Cookies do not harm your computer, and they do not store personally identifiable information such as credit card details.
Are there different types of cookies?
Yes. Some cookies are only placed on your computer for the duration of your visit to our website, these are called session based cookies. These automatically expire when you close down your browser. The other type of cookie is known as a "persistent" cookie. These cookies remain on your computer for a period of time until they expire or are removed.
What are cookies used for?
Cookies make our website easier for you to use and provide you with a more efficient customer experience. For example, they help us to identify and resolve website errors, and they save you time by not having to re-enter your details each time you visit. They also help us personalise our service to you when you return to our website. This information, which is stored in a first party cookie on your computer, is fully secure and cannot be accessed by anyone else.
Cookies on third party websites
We have professional relationships with carefully selected and monitored third parties who may also place cookies on your computer either when you visit our website or across different websites. These cookies allow us to show you different products and services based on what you appear to be interested in.
Useful information about cookies, including how to remove them, can be found at: www.allaboutcookies.org